It was a good reading month for me. I read lots and lots of books 🙂 I even finished a few series including: Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black, the Barcode Tattoo duology by Suzanne Weyn, and the Larklight series by Philip Reeve.
For once I also threw caution to the wind and started reading quite a few new series. I usually try to keep new series to a minimum since I am already in the middle of 30 something. Below are the new series I started reading.
– The Luxe by Anna Godberson (I am dropping this series because I didn’t like the first book much at all)
– Shiver series by Maggie Steifvater
– Twenty Palaces by Harry Connolly
– Lament series by Maggie Steifvater
– Theatre Illuminata series by Lisa Mantchev
– Generation Dead series by Daniel Waters
– The Edge Chronicles by Ilona Andrews
– Wondrous Strange series by Lesley Livingston
I know, I know do I really need to start all these series? No, but they are so much fun!
I read a ton of great books in October. Some of the highlights were:
– “The Child Thief” by Brom; a wonderfully dark masterpiece retelling the story of Peter Pan
– “The Neddiad” by Daniel Pinkwater; a crazy and extremely funny story about a kid who saves the world with a stone turtle
– “Child of Fire” (Twenty Palaces, Book 1) by Harry Connolly; super high action urban fantasy set in a spectacular new world.
– “Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception” by Maggie Stiefvater; Wonderful story that focuses on music and fairies. Reminded me a lot of Charles DeLint’s books.
– “Mothstorm” (Larklight, Book 3) by Philip Reeve; a spectacular conclusion to the Larklight series. Think space pirates in Victorian British Space. Hilarious and full of wonderful adventure.
– “Palimpsest” by Catherynne M. Valente; wonderfully descriptive and dreamy book with a very creative premise.
– “Generation Dead” (Generation Dead, Book 1) by Daniel Waters; a neat and novel zombie book about zombies becoming a new race of teenager.
– “On the Edge” (The Edge, Book 1) by Ilona Andrews; the first book in the Edge Chronicles. If you like Kate Daniels you will love this series too. The characters are different by the wonderful writing and creativity remain consistent.
– “The Van Alen Legacy” (Blue Bloods, Book 4) by Melissa De La Cruz; fourth book in the Blue Bloods series. This series just keeps getting better and more exciting.
As for the clunkers I read this month. There weren’t many of them. The ones that didn’t meet my expectations are listed below.
– “Raven” by Allison van Diepen; a “Twilight” wanna’ be with concentration on break-dancing and 2D characters.
– “A Touch of Dead” (Sookie Stackhouse: Complete Stories) by Charlaine Harris. None of them added much to Sookie’s character, they were all forgettable stories.
– “Wild Blood” By Nancy Collins; this is the worst of all her books that I have read. I absolutely have loved every other book of hers, but this book did not follow in the stead of the others.
The full list of books read is shown below! I hope you all had a good month of reading too 🙂
1. “The Child Thief” by Brom (5/5 stars)
2. “The Neddiad” by Daniel Pinkwater (5/5 stars)
3. “The Luxe” (The Luxe, Book 1) by Anna Godbersen (3/5 stars)
4. “Marvel 1602” by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert (4/5 stars)
5. “The Wyrm King” (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 3) by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi (4/5 stars)
6. “Shiver” by Maggie Stiefvater (4/5 stars)
7. “Bar Code Tattoo” by Suzanne Weyn (4/5 stars)
8. “Barcode Rebellion” by Suzanne Weyn (4/5 stars)
9. “Child of Fire” (Twenty Palaces, Book 1) by Harry Connolly (4/5 stars)
10. “A Touch of Dead” (Sookie Stackhouse: Complete Stories) by Charlaine Harris (3/5 stars)
11. “Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception” by Maggie Stiefvater (4/5)
12. “The Yggyssey” by Daniel Pinkwater (4/5 stars)
13. “Wild Blood” By Nancy Collins (3/5 stars)
14. “Mothstorm” (Larklight, Book 3) by Philip Reeve (5/5 stars)
15. “Palimpsest” by Catherynne M. Valente (5/5 stars)
16. “Eyes Like Stars” (Theatre Illuminata, Act 1) by Lisa Mantchev (4/5 stars)
17. “Generation Dead” (Generation Dead, Book 1) by Daniel Waters (4/5 stars)
18. “The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane” by Kate DiCamillo (5/5 stars)
19. “Raven” by Allison van Diepen (2/5 stars)
20. “On the Edge” (The Edge, Book 1) by Ilona Andrews (5/5 stars)
21. “Wondrous Strange” by Lesley Livingston (3/5 stars)
22. “Beautiful Creatures” by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (3/5 stars)
23. “The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death” by Daniel Pinkwater (4/5 stars)
24. “Ice” by Sarah Beth Durst (4/5 stars)
25. “The Van Alen Legacy” (Blue Bloods, Book 4) by Melissa De La Cruz (5/5 stars)