Welcome to another edition of Top Ten Tuesday which is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! This weeks top 10 are “Top Ten Words/Topics That will Make You Not Pick Up a Book.”
Below you will find the list of the top ten words or topics that will make me not pick up a book. I actually had to think about this a bit. I am part of the Amazon vine reviewing team and I know when I am picking books to review from them there are ones I just absolutely would never touch. So I scanned by Vine list to refresh my memory on words/topics (Especially in titles) that I find repulsive or off-putting.
1. “Finding your religion/faith” – I am just not interested…I do not need a book to help me find religion, I did not loose it anywhere.
2. “The Christian guide to ___ “– Why do Christian’s need a separate guide to something? Can’t we all just try and be good people?
3. “Islamic Guide to Finance” – I had to put this in here because it’s kind of bizarre…this was definitely one I looked at and thought…uh…I really really don’t want to read that.
4. “Chicken Soup for the Soul” – I do not need to sit around reading stories that will make me cry. I do not find hope in them, in fact they make me feel slightly nauseous. When I see these books I actually cringe.
5. Any book about someone’s dog helping him/her find his/her soul or purpose in life. There are a lot of these books out there. I love my pets, I adore them, but they are not going to solve my life problems. That and again I don’t like books that make me sad and cry.
6. Books about child abuse. I do not like child abuse. It makes me incredibly angry and sad. I read books to learn and to relax, not to suffer severe emotional trauma. I will never read the book “A Child Called It.” I know it’s supposed to be awesome but I just don’t think I could handle it.
7. “Steamy” in the title…especially when accompanied by pictures of partially clad women and men. That word for some reason makes me see wanton trashy romance in my head and immediately turns me off that book.
8. Military…I don’t mind reading history about military. But anything described as military is an automatic turn off for me. For example military fantasy, military science fiction ext. I am not a big fan of reading about war in general.
9. “Highlander ____” this is one of those where I see it and I think trashy romance. There’s nothing wrong with trashy romance I just don’t like it. I am sure there are some great Highlander romance books out there. But when I see this word on a book I automatically ignore the book.
10. “Taming” This is another one when I see it I think bad book. Usually these types of books involve some woman taming a wild man into loving her. Not really my thing. Again this is a horrible stereotype on my part. I am sure there are good Taming the whatever books out there…I just haven’t read them.